26 May 2005

Love my Slow Cooker - Beef Hot Pot

I bought a slow cooker a couple of weeks ago and it is wonderful for winter meals. Today I am making a Beef Hot Pot (4 points per serve - serves 4)

500 grams beef (cubed) - heart smart
2 diced parsnips
2 diced carrots
piece of pumpkin diced
small piece of capsicum - diced
1 sachet (50g) Fountain tomato paste
dash of tomato sauce
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion - diced (or dash of onion flakes)
2 pkts continental roast meat gravy mix


Preheat slow cooker. Make up gravy mix with boiling water. Place vegies and beef in slow cooker and pour over gravy mix. (add a little more water if food is not covered) Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or high for 5 hours.

Serve with rice or potato (points not included above) or make these delicious dumplings and pop on top of the beef mixture 40 minutes before ready to serve.

Dumplings (1 &1/2 points each)

1 cup self raising flour
salt to taste
pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
4 tablespoons cold water

Mix flour, salt, pepper and parsley and rub in margarine. Add water and mix to a soft dough (consistency of scones). Roll into 8 small balls and drop on top of casserole. Cook on high for last 40 minutes.

3 comments:

Glenys said...

Hi Suzy
I also bought a slow cooker recently, thanks for the recipe, I may do this over the coming days. Cooler weather makes us feel like casseroles and stews.

Slim Suzy said...

Hi Glenys
This was really yummy. I decided to put the parsnips in and they made it really tasty. I added a bit too much water though. I can't quite get used to the fact that the most of the liquid stays during cooking, not like in the oven. I had to thicken it when I put the Dumplings in with a bit of cornflour. I can't be bothered browning things first and the roast meat gravy mix makes it much easier.
Good luck with it.

Leighanne said...

I will be giving this one a try - I just aquired a slow cooker off a friend who has gone oversea's, my only problem was finding something low point to cook!