30 May 2005

Not missing potatoes

Still on track and maintaining my weight. I have had a cold, but I am sure I haven't been as sick with it as I have in the past. Maybe it is the daily lemon juice I squeeze in my drinking water?!

I keep saying to my husband that I haven't really made that many changes to my eating habits, but he reminds me that I used to eat mountains of mashed potatoes (nearly every night) and now I have 1/2 a potato or a small piece of sweet potato and I fill my plate with no point vegies. I used to have butter on my toast and melt butter on my vegies and now I don't eat butter or margarine. (Only when used in recipes). I used to eat two or three slices of white toast for breakfast and never ate cereal and now I have one (or two if I'm really hungry) slices of grainy toast and Allbran with sultanas or a no fat yoghurt for breakfast. I always delighted in eating the fat on grilled pork chops and said I would never be able to give that up and now I cut all the visible fat off any meat I cook. If I am out and I eat something slightly fatty it seems to make a coating on my mouth and I really notice it. The strangest thing is that I don't miss any of those things. I really look forward to a nutritious, delicious meal and feel so much better after eating. I am sure I will be like this forever!

6 comments:

Angel said...

wow they are awesome achievements and u should be so proud of yourself. u have made changes that are hard to break. u r an inspiration!!

Vix said...

Isnt it amazing how just the smallest things make the biggest difference! After a while you dont even notice that you are going without. My strength is shown when I hand over the bacon rind to my partner. Oh - that is SO HARD! I know what you mean when you notice the difference when you eat something you usually dont - my New Years Resolution was to do Body For Life (www.bodyforlife.com) and on Sundays you have a free day where you can gorge yourself with whatever you want - well! After eating non-processed foods all week I was so nauseated from the foods that I wasn't used to!
Sorry this turned into my life story! Vixen

Leighanne said...

I have noticed the same with sugar and margarine!

A Girl Running said...

I am the same Suzy - I have a baked potato sometimes but I really do miss mashed potatoes, sometimes I would eat a bowl of it on its own. When I was pregnant with my last baby it was almost all I could eat for a few weeks and still I love it.....

M said...

Hi. I found your blog through Leighanne and have read right through. It is so great to read a blogger that is at goal and maintaining. It continually gives me inspiration to be that way too. The recipes sound great and I will try a few out. Also, I agree with that fatty feeling in your mouth.
Have a great day :)

A Girl Running said...

thanks for your note =) I would love to read your husbands blog when he gets it up and running - always on the lookout for more running stories to read, can you send me the link when possible.

LOL had a chuckle about your saying he keeps all those stats - so do I!