03 September 2005

Kindred spirits

I went to our new Suzanne Grae store yesterday to look for some crop pants. I hadn't tried there the other day when I had such a hard time finding any to come up past my hips. Sure enough I found some really nice pairs there and met a kindred spirit at the same time.

The "girl" who served me (late 30's I reckon) was really helpful and we started talking about weight loss and self image and how it is really hard sometimes for us to accept our new size because when we look in the mirror we see the old body.

She was a WW! She had lost quite a bit of weight and still has about 10kgs to go. She is the same height as me and looks good at the moment but wants to keep going to goal weight. I explained to her that I don't go to meetings but have followed the WW points system and it really worked for me. It was really exciting to talk to someone who knows how I feel and I guess that is what it is like for those of you who go to meetings. It would be nice to catch up with others and compare notes. I am really pleased to be able to do that via our blogs, but it was great to talk to someone in person too!

She was also a good salesperson, as by the time I left the store I had bought 3 pairs of crop pants ( 1 lovely self-striped denim with a nice bone coloured tie belt and one black summery pair and a light browny summery pair), a pair of gorgeous brown sandals and a lovely fitted shirt! Oh well, I do need all new summer clothes remember!

16 comments:

Mello4me said...

It is nice to talk with others in person about our journeys and I think your journey is great especially doing it at home, I deffinately would have cracked and given in!! Your a gem.

- u said...

i perfectly understand. i would love to meet someone i could chat with with whom i could exchange recipes with local ingredients, share tips, a workout buddy...

LeisaB NewMe said...

Hey Suzy - It is really great to talk to other WW at meetings or with our wonderful support network via the blogs. Your new outfits sound really lovely for summer - we will wait for some photos I gues. BTW - luv the new pic, you look great. Have a wonderful day and enjoy your new clothes. lb

Felicity said...

I understand what u mean Suzy I have been on my journey for so long but as I am doing it 'alone' with no meetings I rely on my computer for weight loss communication. I am catching up with a fello blogger next week when I go to nth Is so excited about that. Great shopping experience all round for u good one

Kellee said...

It is lovely to meet people who are in the same boat as you re: WW. Is there anyone who lives near you who you could meet up with? (Sorry, I don't know where you live) It certainly does help. I know that I'm still getting used to my new size too - when I was out the other day, I was wearing some very slimming clothing, and I got a few looks from some rather attractive young men... it bowled me over! You really do forget what you look like sometimes.

I'm glad you were able to find some nice new clothes. Of course, you HAVE to look good for summer! And you probably don't fit into anything from last year, do you?

Jodie said...

Definately - Talking to people who have travelled or travelling the same paths is very exciting. Sharing do's and don't and maybe learning something new along the way. Yay for summer clothes shopping! Not long now!! XX

M said...

I agree with you. I think the understanding gets people to help you more in the shops and give you sincere comments on the clothes you try on, not just flatter to make you buy it.

You are doing so well Suzy. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

Leighanne said...

That is why I love the town group I go to, and blogging - so many ideas and stories around!
Looks like you had a great day shopping:)

kathrynoh said...

It's great when you have a shopping experience like that - makes it so much more fun :)

Me said...

It is good when you can talk to people who are going through / have been through what you are doing - makes you feel like you are normal. Also it is good to get different views and ideas on how to do things. Glad you had a good shopping experience - not much beats that !!
Take care and have a great week !
Me

Chris Powell said...

Hey how u going. Just surfing some blogs as i was bored at work and came across yours. Its nice to read your stories. Im currently living in Japan so its always nice to hear about anything going on back in oz to.

I lost about 50 kilos a few years back. Ive since put back on about 10 of them but its such a great sense of achievment. Congratulations.

Chris Powell said...

Thanks. Im sure ill be fine but i just have to wait and see.

michelle said...

It is great to buy new, smaller clothes. You definitely need them after losing so much weight. And sharing with another "loser" is really great too. BTW I just saw your mums photo an dyou really resemble her. The picture of her up a tree really shows what a great spirit she had.

the_jem said...

A girl can never have too many clothes, or shoes, or bags, or lipsticks ...........
What a nice way to shop, with someone who actually KNOWS what you have been through!!

CaramelKitKat said...

Just saw the photo of your mum - it's a beauty! It reminds me that I need to scan my Nanna & Pa's photos while they are around to tell me who's who. I hope you had a piece of cake for her today, definately allowed.

Congrats too on the weight loss! V impressive given that it was done in isolation and so quickly.

Emily said...

How neat that you found a shop with so many nice things AND you made a friend! Mental note to put that store on your "must visit more often" list.

Happy birthday to your Dear Mum.