17 October 2005

Joined YMCA



Thanks for all your helpful comments about the cross trainer. I decided to join YMCA and use their exercise room and see how I go before outlaying so much money. It is open Monday to Thursday.
Walked down this morning and joined for 12 months ($8 joining fee). Fee for using fitness room is $4.50 for as long as I like and 10 sessions for $35 or $30 a month.
Huge room with a treadmill and 20 exercise machines. Everything from a rowing machine to exercise bikes (no cross trainer of course).
I had the whole room to myself. Must have picked a quiet time, so that was great.
The girl unlocked the room for me and put on a great music CD. I explained to her that I didn't have a clue how to use any of them and she said "You will be OK, just keep your shoulders square and don't over extend your limbs when you use the machines". She then left me to it.
OK, so I used most of the machines. Don't have a clue if I was doing the right thing, but I want to tone up my arms and stomach mostly and the rowing machine felt good for that. Figured out the treadmill and just used it manually for a while, but next time I will set it on a program and see how I go.
I used the machines for about 45 minutes and felt quite good after. (Tomorrow will tell the tale).
I will go two or three times a week and on other days will jog on my tramp and walk.

DH and I had a lovely day yesterday. We walked 5km in the country and then drove to a nice place by the river and had a picnic lunch. We thought about all the Bloggers in Joggers and were pleased to be part of the Walk for a Cure.

Next week we are doing a 6km Fun Run/Walk in the country.

15 comments:

Mary said...

Great to hear about you joining the gym. I'll be keen to see how you find it over the coming weeks :-)

Karen said...

Wow no waiting for machines and working out without a crowd.. Sounds good to me..

Philippa said...

Hi Suzy - glad you decided to try the YMCA first before outlaying the money. Good move! Like Mary, I'll be interested to see how you find it.

Have a great week

kathrynoh said...

Wow, your own personal gym! Sounds like a good deal to me. I am wary of buying fitness equipment because I always think I can use much better equipment at the gym and also get more variety. It is strange that they didn't give you any instruction on using the equipment though.

michelle said...

You will enjoy the variety at the gym Suzy. Good onyou for starting something different.

Leighanne said...

Good on you for starting the gym - hope you are not too sore tommorrow!!
Lucky you to have the place to yourself!

Kate said...

Well done on joining the YMCA - sounds great, and I'm sure it will spice up your exercise :-)

M said...

Changing the exercise routine will definitely have some effect on your muscles. And keep you interested. Wow a room where you had all the machines to yourself. Sounds like a dream I had once LOL

We thought of you too on our walk. I am so glad that everyone had a great day. And looked really great in the t-shirts. It was a lot of fun.

Hope you have a wonderful day :)

Doug Bagley said...

Good job Suzy! Sounds like you're hard at it to stay at your goal. Keep it up.

Jodie said...

Glad to hear it. Keeping that membership might work better than just one piece of equipment. That way you can tone all parts of your body on the various machines. I also find paying out an actual membership to something makes me go and do the exercise. For the life of me I can't get interested in exercising at home!! XX

Melinda said...

They are great rates for joining a gym and to have the place to yourself would be wonderful.....I remember waiting and waiting to use machines when I joined a gym. Its a shame you were not given a little demo of the more complicated ones, though. At least by joining the gym the exercise machine you were going to buy will not become an expensive clothes horse like my non moterised walking machine did...it now lives in the shed!!

Em said...

YMCA sounds the go.... Glad you had a nice day with DH
Take care

Thinner Nancy said...

Good on you for joining the gym. Hope you aren't too sore today.

:o)

LeisaB NewMe said...

Hey Suzy - YMCA sounds great. I really get put off joining gyms or buying exercise equipment as it can be wasted money. I currently walk (free) and I do 1 class a week at Fernwood that I pay casual rate for. Even at $12.50 a class it has worked out cheaper than paying costly monthly fees that I never end up doing. Have a great week and congrats on your walking addiction 8-)

A Girl Running said...

great to hear you joined the gym Suzy, the Y sounds like the way to go compared to the prices of other gyms.