20 November 2005

Pepitas














Most days I have been eating a mixture of almonds, dried apricots and sultanas (about 40g). I buy them all in larger packets and mix them together for my "daily dose". I have now added 10g of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) to that mix. For those of you who haven't tried them, they are delish. Quite a nutty flavour. I bought the plain ones, but they also come in salted. (I count it as 2 points as it is a very healthy and nutritious snack - it may be slightly over that).

"Nutritional Benefits of Pepitas Are:
• Vegan, gluten-free, and no cholesterol or trans fats
• Very low net carbs
• Significant source of fibre to aid digestion and reduce cholesterol
• High in heart-healthy protein and Omega-3 oil
• Rich in zinc for a strong immune system
• Good source of iron, phosphorus, Vitamin E and tryptophan for overall health • Great for reproductive health


While I was at the Health Food shop I also bought some capsules to try and strengthen my nails. They are flaking and splitting badly and although I don't usually take vitamin pills, as I need to take medication for blood pressure, I have come to the desperate stage with my fingernails. They told me it would take 3 months to see any difference so this will be another thing I need to be patient with. (I think my stomach is getting flatter - I am whispering cause I don't want to say it out loud yet as I can't quite believe it is happening after all these years).

We had a nice day yesterday. Did our long walk to town and Subway for lunch (of course). I found a gorgeous top at Crossroads. Will either wear it to DH's Christmas function or wear it on Christmas day (or both). I have decided I am officially a "shopaholic". Luckily DH found himself 2 T-shirts on sale, so I didn't feel so guilty! Trouble is I have had to shop so much for myself with my new size that it has become quite a habit. Nice habit though!!!

12 comments:

Jadey 0:-) said...

Hey hun - if you are having problems with your nails you may be lacking protein. Good Luck with them.

Felicity said...

I agree that snack is yummy I have the same snack regularly

M said...

It is a great habit. I think a habit you should keep for life. And really you have given up so many bad habits, one little good one like continually shopping should be OK LOL.

Now I have a hankering for some macadamia nuts. :) Hope you have had a lovely weekend

kathrynoh said...

What a yummy looking snack.

Sue said...

Ahhh, the joys of shopping for skinny clothes....

Em said...

Shopping is good...... Im finding that wearing my old clothes that are so big on me kinda makes me depressed so shopping for some new smaller clothes sounds good :-). Have a great week

michelle said...

Shopping is wonderful, essential therapy. Maybe that i swher I went wrong last week as I didn't do any. Thankyou for coming to my aid on my blog and leaving such a carinhg and honest comment. I felt that you understand what I was trying to say. With the great advice from all my blog friends I will snap ouit of this. It helped to blog about my feelings and then to have people respond so openly was very inspiring.

Julie's journey said...

Nothing is better than shopping for clothes and finding that you fit into a smaller size and it looks good. You could always buy another top for one of your Christmas outings but dont tell you hubby I said that.
:o)

Jodie said...

Yummo to the pumpkin seeds. I mix them with slivered almonds, sunflower seeds and walnuts and sprinkle over my salads for work lunches. Very nice and adds that extra fibre since I've cut down on the bread (which contained heaps of seeds etc). XX

Thinner Nancy said...

I have decided that shopping is my new hobby too. I love it! Can't get enough. I am sure we are just making up for lost time!

:o)

Leighanne said...

...another shopaholic here..lol
I have never tried pumpkin seeds - will have to give them a go!

Mary said...

What a great idea! I normally pick up a mix from the local fruit/veg store but I could definitely do it myself and cheaper too. Yum!