24 September 2006

Comfort food

(This is a borrowed photo of someone else's pancakes)



Sometimes I think it is nice to have some comfort food. Today is SO dark and dull and rainy and horrible I made some pancakes for DH and I for lunch. They were SO yummy. I had mine drizzled with Maple Syrup and DH had extra butter, sugar and Maple Syrup. I couldn't take a photo because we ate them too quickly. SO DELISH!!! DH is now watching Westerns on TV and I am playing on my puter. He usually doesn't sit down for two minutes at a time, but he has a cold and I have told him to rest and not run today (I will believe that when I see it). So far it is working.

Here is the pancake recipe I used. It is actually a pikelet recipe from The "Central Cookery Book" (an old Tasmanian School recipe book). This recipe makes lovely pikelets to eat cold, but today I added more milk to make them more like pancakes and less like pikelets. It made 4 large pancakes. (My changes in brackets)

4 ozs self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used a pinch of salt)
Nutmeg (I didn't add this)
5 tablespoons milk (I added more to make mixture less thick. I used skinny milk)
2 ozs sugar
1/2 oz melted butter
1 egg

Beat egg and sugar (I used a whisk) and add melted butter and milk (keep whisking).
Sift in flour and nutmeg (and whisk till smooth).
Drop in spoonfuls on to a hot, greased pan, griddle or plate (I poured enough mixture in pan to make a pancake instead of smaller pikelets)
Turn when brown (and bubbly)
Butter when cold (We ate them hot with Maple Syrup)

Hope you are all well and happy.

9 comments:

2paw said...

Nothing like the good old comfort food recipes(slightly updated!!) to make you feel better!! I love pikelets; blueberry or banana, or pancakes with a sprinkling of caster sugar and a big squeeze of lemon juice!! YUM!!!

jen said...

Yummy Suzy, will be trying those for sure....I love pikelets!!!

Jen

Leighanne said...

They sound like a yummy treat - might make some for the boys:)

Wanna_B_slim said...

Oh yum... I make the Puffy Piklets Out of the very same cook book!!! for my children anyway.. I am gluten intollerant so i dont get to enjoy them like i used to...Unfortunately Gluten free pancakes arent quite as nice as those ones..
But I agree with the weather change..ewww it has been horrible here in Launceston too...

Julie's journey said...

Not happy but your pancakes cheered me up. Hope hubby is feeling better.
Julie

kathrynoh said...

I learnt to cook using the Central Cookbook and still have it - but it's all food splattered and dog eared now. It's a great cookbook though.

Yum pancakes - I've been craving them for ages but never feel it's worth making them just for me.

Anonymous said...

Yummo!! I love pancakes but they are definitely a treat food because I can never stop at a few ;-)

Hear me ROAR said...

They sound delish.. My kids love pancakes.. I think I will try making yours sometime!

littlegrover said...

Oh yum, now you've given me a craving - they sound delicious:)