23 October 2006

My black tote



















I made a black quilted tote today. You can't quite see. but on the left top is a little dangly "S". The slim girl on my bag looks taller and more slim than me, but I thought she was cute. She was just an "iron on" girl, so hope she stays stuck!
My sewing machine is 33 years old. It is very basic and sometimes very annoying. Today I broke 3 needles. I lined the bag with black quilted fabric too, so it was quite thick to sew through. Nothing is straight in my sewing. I don't measure anything. I don't have a pattern. I do everything by "eye" and sometimes I go cross-eyed! Anyway, that only makes my finished product more original. I bought another cute girl and I will make a smaller black quilted evening shoulder bag for her to sit on. I will post a pic, if it turns out OK.

Flowers are starting to bloom in the garden. It was a lovely day today. Still windy though. I like to pick flowers because I hate to see them ruined by the wind.

Have a lovely, happy week!

P.S. Here is my smaller bag. I used a re-cycled cord from another bag of mine which had a broken zip. This girl is SO cute. She has a skirt that floats out, long boots (which are hard to see in the pic) and she is wearing her own little bag.

17 comments:

Leighanne said...

I love the things you make - I wish I could sew:)

The days have been lovely - makes me want to spend all my time outside!

kathrynoh said...

Wow, that bag is so funky! The flowers are lovely too.

CaramelKitKat said...

You're one clever lady, the bags are great!

Philippa said...

I never get tired of looking at all the things you make - they are fabulous!

2paw said...

Great bags!! Both of them!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow hun that tote looks fantastic. I wish I could sew.. I tend to break the sewing machines he he he

Love Chubbymum

Anne said...

I haven't sewed for years - but don't think I could ever turn out goodies like you do. They both look great.

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed with your sewing. Truly, I think it's amazing!! Love the flowers too Suzy.. hope the winds stop and they keep blooming away beautifully. They really are the most gorgeous colour. :-)

Trisca.. xo

Anonymous said...

Your bags are gorgeous Suzy. Have you ever thought of selling stuff you make at the markets? I used to work at Glebe markets selling a friends clothing (now galleryserpentine.com) and it was so much fun meeting and talking to all kinds of people. Great way to earn a few dollars too :-)

Hear me ROAR said...

Wow.. I wish I could sew... I have a great machine. Just have to figure out what to do with it :)

M said...

It's a great talent to have.. I used to sew all the time when I was younger. As I was quite thin then - about a 10/12 but still had arms the length of which needed a 16 to fit them, I needed to make all my own clothes. I don't have any of them any more but sometimes I do feel a desire to sew again. Perhaps a machine might make it onto the christmas list this year :)

Keep showing us your creative side. I love it!

FAT BITCH said...

Hi Suzy :)

I too love seeing your new creations and each one is beautiful and so well done. Of I'm referring to your cooking sewing... ;)

You got me all nostalgic because you reminded me of the fact that my Grandma had a Singer sewing machine that was an antique.

Beautiful bag, Suzy. Very stylish. You know you can get rich someday selling the items that you make!!!!!!! :D

Cath said...

Oh the bags are very cool! One of my friends used to collect discarded neck ties (from vinnies, friends, friends dads etc)and sew them together to make satchels about the same size. Very cool.

Doug Bagley said...

beautiful flowers and bags.You're sure talented

jen said...

Very talented Suzy...very "with it" !!!


Jen

Thoughtful said...

I'm BACK!

Wow nice bags! Good going with the marathon etc, what a shame about the medal! Can't wait to see a pic of you wearing it on your blog when you receive it!

Thanks for reading my blog whilst I have been "dormant", your kind comments gave me a bit of a boost along the way :)

Jadey 0:-) said...

Very nice hun - you are quite craftyu and talented. Our sewing machine has bitten the dust apparently the motor was smashed. (no wonder it wouldn't work)

Now I'm looking out for one of those mini machines. Then maybe I'll finish off Storm's bed.