11 January 2007

Denim & Lace


I decided I would like to make a quilt from recycled denim jeans. I went to the op shop and bought 4 pairs of jeans and a denim shirt and a blue & white check shirt with nice embroidered flowers on it (very ugly shirt,but I knew I could cut off the flowers) all for $12. They had all been freshly laundered and luckily for me it was a $2 day, so I didn't have to pay $5 or $6 each for them.
I cut up three pairs of jeans and the shirts. The other pair just happen to be JAG, and when I tried them on at home they fit me, so I will keep them!

By the time I had cut up the jeans, and cut off the pockets and zips for future projects I decided that I am not patient enough at the moment to make a quilt. I have started with a cushion cover and will see what else transpires.

Here it is:







more to come another day.......

11 comments:

Kate said...

You are just so clever! Well done, I really like it :-)

Mary said...

So when are you opening shop!? :-)

2paw said...

What a gorgeous cushion, but you know a quilt is just a few cushion covers sewn together???

Linda said...

Gosh - I haven't been by for a week or so and look at everything you've been getting up to. You've been making some great stuff.

Zanna said...

It's beautiful!!!

kathrynoh said...

Woohoo! Looks great and it's always nice to get things cheap.

A friend of mine made a picnic rug from old jeans - it's a great idea cos the denim is so hard wearing. He even included some of the pockets :)

Leighanne said...

Love the cushion - can't wait to see how the quilt turns out:)

Sarah said...

WOW - Happy New Year! You have been a busy bee with your new toy - it all looks so awesome!!

ArleneWKW said...

That cushion is really pretty. I imagine the op shop that you describe is what is known as a thrift shop here in the U.S. What an excellent source for fabrics! Also, I like your idea of using the fabric from your own old clothes for sewing projects. I've rediscovered sewing in the last year or so. You inspire me.

chickychriss said...

It looks fantastic Suzy!!!

Wanna_B_slim said...

Ohhhh I used to loooove sewing... then i did it full time for 12 years... that sort of killed my passion for it.. but looking at your gorgeous projects have made my fingers itch to get it out... now where do i find the extra couple of hours a day to fit it in...
Which op shop has $2 days... i find denim to be so expensive even in ops shops...I am always on the lookout for yard jeans for the kids...
Go you for finding Jag ...