24 May 2007

I am 51!!!











My 51st Birthday has been and gone. I couldn't have any visitors because I had caught a "bug" and didn't want to infect anyone. Consequently, dinner plans with DH were cancelled.

My eldest brother phoned me from Queensland and sang "Happy Birthday" and proceeded to tell me that he had just gone through having three stents put in his heart (after collapsing at the Anzac Service) and was due to have two more in a couple of weeks! I didn't even know he wasn't well! We only keep in touch two or three times a year and no news is usually good news. I was very upset! Even though he is 16 years older than me and had left home when I was only a baby, he is still my brother, and I do care about him. He hadn't told our other siblings either, because he didn't want to worry us. I say a trouble shared is a trouble halved and we could have given him some moral support at least. Anyway I will visit him in July when I go to see Dear Son. It is amazing what can be done these days to keep our hearts going. He is 67, but I hope he has many years left to live in "paradise" (as many of my close relatives like to call their life in Queensland).

On an happier note, I received some lovely presents and cards and phone calls and luckily I am not needed at work for a week because our beloved Surgeon is in USA for a week. Now I have stopped "throwing up" I have plenty of time for knitting and my appetite hasn't returned, so I have no worries about eating more than I should!

16 comments:

Julie's journey said...

How sad you were sick for your birthday. There should be a law against it. Anyway I hope you are okay now and I'm sure you can have a belated birthday dinner. Happy birthday!
Julie
xxx

Wanna_B_slim said...

Ohh happy belated birthday Suzy...
I do hope you can make up for what you missed out on...
It will be good to see your brother.... I hope his next lot of surgury goes well...

Anne said...

Not fair being sick on your birthday - sounds as if you got a real dose of it you poor woman! I've bounced back - almost.

Sorry to hear about your brother - what a shock for you. Hard to go through but on the positive side so much can be done these days. Big shock for you to hear about it though.

Happy belated birthday - make sure you go an celebrate even though it's a little late.

Jenny said...

Dear Suzy, so sorry you were unwell on your birthday. I hope you made up for it with belated celebrations.

I hope your brother is doing okay. Thank goodness he is recovering well. My Dad had open heart surgery 27 years ago, and, at nearly 77 is doing fantastic. Doctors are awesome people, and can truly do miracles.

Seeing as your visiting our paradise soon, what's the chances of meeting with you........???? I am on the Sunshine Coast, where are you heading?

chickychriss said...

Happy happy birthday Suzy! Hope you are still going to have a belated birthday celebration dinner with your DH when you are feeling better!
It must have been a shock to hear your brother's news..hope all goes well with him..it will be great for you to see him in July.
Take care & hope you are feeling better soon..

White Rose Boy said...

Happy Birthday Suzy I hope you are soon feeling better so you can have a late celebration.

kathrynoh said...

Happy birthday :)

What a bummer, being too sick for your birthday and too sick to knit!

ombites (mary) said...

Aww, Happy Birthday Suze! Definitely a shame you were sick on your actual birthday but I reckon you can stretch birthdays out and celebrate now that feeling much better :-)

Sorry to hear about your brother too. Families can be funny when it comes to illness but it sounds like he's on it. July is a good time to go somewhere warmer too!

Chris H said...

Happy belated birthday, you kept that one quiet didn't you? Hope your brother is ok after his next surgery. Have a wonderful weekend.

Living to Feel Good said...

Happy belated birthday! I hope you feel better soon!!

airliebird58 said...

A belated happy birthday to you! I thought I'd return the visit as you was kind enough to visit my blog. I hope you're still feeling better, and your brother is continuing to do well :)

Spider said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

"The Captain" said...

Happy Birthday!

Sue said...

Hope you are all better now?

Melinda said...

Sorry you were sick on your birthday but Happy Birthday anyway! and I hope hubby took you out for a belated dinner when you were feeling better.

You big brother sounds just like mine....they don't like to worry their little sister's! When my brother had major sugery for bowel cancer last year I had to find everything out from my sil!

Phil said...

Hope you have some good belated birthday celebrations Suzy - there's nothing worse than being sick on your birthday!

xoxoxo