29 August 2007

The moon, some flowers and an easy chicken pie recipe

Here is my photo of the beginning of the lunar eclipse last night. Unfortunately I didn't capture a pic of the moon when it was really orange, but I have my memories. I was sneezing too much to hold the camera still.
















I made this Chicken Pot Pie - hopefully it will be one of the last winter meals I will be cooking. I am so looking forward to salads :

2 chicken breast fillets (no skin) chopped into pieces
2 carrots - sliced in VERY thin slices
piece of red capsicum - diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 tiny tin of sweetcorn
dash of onion flakes
1 sheet low fat puff pastry

Sauce - 1 Pkt white sauce mix mixed as per packet- easy way

OR harder way (make your own white sauce).

Combine white sauce with:

curry powder to taste
black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon mild mixed mustard
1/2 pkt of chicken noodle soup

METHOD : Lightly brown chicken pieces in a pan sprayed with olive oil. Transfer chicken to a small casserole dish. Stir in carrots,peas, capsicum, corn and onion flakes.

Pour sauce over all ingredients. Top casserole dish with sheet of pastry and trim around edges. Pierce top of pastry in a few places and brush with beaten egg white.

Bake in 200 degree Celsius oven for approx 40 to 45 minutes.
This serves two or three large serves.
Serve with green whole baby beans and mashed sweet potato.



Yay for spring flowers!!!!!!

9 comments:

2paw said...

Wasn't the eclipse great??!! I haven't downloaded my photos but I reckon mine look like blobs!! Thanks for the yummy recipe. Especially the bit about slicing the carrots thinly: they do take so long to cook!!!

Chris H said...

WE watched the eclipse as well, loved the fact that it went orange/red! Your pie looks nice! Dunno about all dem veges though, I am over veges at the moment!

Jenny said...

We stopped our dance class last night and all went outside to look at it. The moon was red, it looked fabulous. I didn't get a photo. Suzy your photo is great, did you have the camera on tripod or on a table - the shutter needs to be really slow, that's why moon photos blur so easily.

Your pie looks scrumptious. I would have to put a base on it though. Love Chris's comment about the vegies, made me laugh. That's why I am so glad not to be dieting anymore - no food, or lack of it, makes me shudder anymore.

What are the flowers with the daffodils? My favourite flowers are freesias and they looked a bit like those......... Bulbs have a very limited season here, so I do miss them.

Sue said...

Big vase of daffodils on my desk - they just make me smile all the time...

Zanna, travelling tart, currently in Los Alamos said...

Lovely photos. Think the pie looks delish. I might try that when I finally have to cook again - three more weeks of someone else doing it for us.
Z xx

Wanna_B_slim said...

The weather has been gorgeous hasnt it...
I hope your cold didnt come to anything much..
Take care and enjoy the start of spring!!!

White Rose Boy said...

The Pie looks great, you've now made me hungry.

M said...

That sounds so simple, and delicious. But I too am looking forward to more summery type foods, and have already started by having salads for lunch again. I missed salads!!

Hope you have a lovely weekend Sue :)

Melinda said...

The eclipse was amazing but I didn't get a photo. However, I can just shut my eyes and see it!

I am so ready for spring, I am more than ready to get out of the trackies and long sleeve tops but it is raining here again and cold as well. Not cold like you have though!

Love your flowers....so pretty :-)