14 September 2007

R.I.P Mr O'Rourke








Did you ever have a teacher who really left an impact on you? Mr Rodney O'Rourke was one of those teachers for me. He was Senior Master of English at my school. He was a great teacher and a great person. At the time I left school at 15, I thought he was quite old. I realise now he must have only been 31!!! His nickname was "Sergeant" (from Sergeant O'Rourke - F Troop). He was firm, but fair in his dealings with students. I just read in the local paper today that he died this week at the age of 66. I know he only recently retired and I am so sorry to hear of his sudden passing. He had gone on to achieve quite a high position within the Education Department. I ran into him some years ago in the street and he was interested to know how and who I was now, and all about my children. I am sorry he didn't have much time to enjoy his retirement. R.I.P Rodney O'Rourke. I hope you are having a beer with my Dear Dad (also a teacher and colleague of Mr O'Rourke's).


Me in 1971 (B Class -now called Grade 10)

7 comments:

2paw said...

Sad news for you, but what a great teacher that you still feel that way?? You look like you in your photo too!!!

Chris H said...

Isn't it a shame how so many people die soon after they retire? I always think "not fair".... my Dad did that too. Love the long socks mate... very chick!

Matt said...

Good teachers are hard to find, especially nowadays. Cherish your memory

ArleneWKW said...

How wonderful to have a teacher that you remember so fondly.

rand(om) bites said...

Memories are what keeps them alive! He sounded like a great guy and yes, I often think of a few of my teachers that I still hold with high regard :-)

rand(om) bites said...

Love the photo of you too! You look so cute :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Suzy- that's my dad you're talking about. Rodney was a wonderful father to his 4 daughters -he was tough but fair, and he suffered so much after our mother died 19years ago. He had 11 happy years of retirement before his sudden death. It's been very comforting to us to hear those fond memories and tributes from people like you. Thanks.