09 September 2007

Sleep - or lack of it





View from my deck early this morning





Lately I have had many nights when I wake up about 2am and can't go back to sleep. I toss and turn for a while and then usually get up about 3.30 or 4am. This happens about twice a week, or sometimes more.
During that time I often think of my Mother (who is no longer with us). She was almost 41 when I was born and when I was a teenager I can remember quite often waking up in the middle of the night and she would be washing the floor or sitting in the lounge reading. I couldn't understand why she wasn't sleeping. I loved to sleep long hours and sleep in most of the morning at weekends.
I realise now that she was in her 50's at that stage and was going through the same things that I am now. She didn't complain and she didn't talk about it.
I am lucky now that I have the choice of reading, watching TV, watching a DVD or playing on my puter when I can't sleep. She had no technology to help her pass the time. She did love looking at the sunrise and also watching the mountains appear (The Great Western Tiers)and she gave me an appreciation of those things too.

12 comments:

M said...

It is nice to remember family like this.

As long as you are up you have the beautiful view to take in. :)

Thank you for the lovely birthday wishes..

rand(om) bites said...

What a gorgeous post Suzy and for reminding us of the simple things :-)

Julie's journey said...

A gentle way to finish Monday at work by reading your post.

Hope lack of sleep doesnt take a toll on the rest of your day but what a lovely way to start the day - watching the sunrise and remembering a loved one. She must have felt close.

Chris H said...

I sometimes wake at that time too, such a pain... I do not clean kitchen floors though! I get on the computer! Your deck view is just lovely too, lucky you!

your daughter said...

If I remember correctly as she got older she made up for some of that missed sleep in the bath!

Jenny said...

Love how you could put a positive twist onto something which is very annoying. Great that you could use the time to reflect rather than be cranky because you couldn't go back to sleep.

I am still deciding what to do with my sleeplessness...........

Em said...

Ah the simple things in life we all should reflect on them ...lovely pic

Anne said...

I know the feeling - but if I curl up on the spare bed and read I nod of again. Can't read in bed as the light wakes up my husband.

jen said...

Love the post and the pic...seen many a sunrise myself.

Wanna_B_slim said...

Gorgeous pic....
My mum never seemed to sleep much... always up when i went to bed... and then up again when i woke...
used to wonder if she ever went to bed at all...

White Rose Boy said...

Well I can sympathaise I'm one for waking numerous times during the night, I never seem to need much sleep.

Chris H said...

ha ha Suzy, 4am is when I GOT to sleep, not when I woke up, you are on ya own mate!