20 October 2007

My 10km walk










We aren't going to Burnie tomorrow for the Burnie Ten as DH still has an injury and can't run. He should be resting his ankle, but instead went on a 50km bike ride out into the country and back.

While he was away, I decided to do a 10km walk on my treadmill.I set the treadmill to 6km an hour (100 minutes for 10km). 6km/hour seems to be my comfortable limit on this treadmill. I usually walk faster in a race (about 83 minutes for 10km), but I find the treadmill very different.

All went well until 9.86 km, when the treadmill beeped 5 times and stopped! OMG, I thought, I have killed my treadmill. I was rather worried, because it is quite a powerful treadmill and can be set up to 16km per hour. I was about to phone the sports store where I bought it and I decided I had better read the instruction manual. Sure enough, the manual told me that when the time reaches 99 minutes, the treadmill will beep 5 times and STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness there is nothing wrong with it. I will have to limit my walks to a maximum of one hour in future, or hit the road again.

Not much other news at the moment. My broadband seems to be slower since I installed the wireless router to my modem. I have increased the speed with my internet provider for a month (for an extra $10 a month),to see if that makes a difference. I'm not convinced yet though.

9 comments:

Chris H said...

Phew, lucky there was nothing wrong with the Treadmill ! I would have been freaking too if mine just up and stopped on me! Hope you are having a neat weekend.

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

99 Minutes... phew.. thats a long time walking in one spot..I hope you were watching a good movie on telly...
Bummer about missing out on burnie 10....
Last year i was determined to get fit enough to enter this year!!! pfffftttt I had 6 months with a chronic hip problem.. and I finally got that sorted and then started full time work and all exercise has gone out the window!!
Not a very good excuse I know.. but for me a valid one..
Hope you enjoyed the gorgeous weather today.. we too the kids to the Longford show.. and loved it!! weather was amazing...

White Rose Boy said...

Thats great exercise and a decent speed you been doing.

B said...

I can't even do ten minutes on the treadmill before I feel like i'm going to pass out, you must be very fit!
I think wireless takes up a lot of memory space on your system. I've heard it makes your machine very slow. I have a dinosaur computer so i'm not even thinking about wireless yet, maybe next year when I can afford a new computer.
Hope you're enjoying the weekend, the weather is lovely here.

kathrynoh said...

Maybe you'll have to break your walk into segments next time - do 5 kms then reset the treadie? Although doing more than 99 mins is a long time.

I was talking about the Burnie 10 with my mum yesterday - she reckons I should come down and do it, but I couldn't this year because I have my nan's bday in Nov. Two trips to Tas in two months is too much :D Definitely thinking about it for next year.

Doug Bagley said...

you know the guys' motto: If all else fails read the instructions, LOL

Living to Feel Good said...

OMG!! 99 mins on the treadmill!! Now that is impressive. I would get so bored. That is awesome. Glad your treadmill isn't broken!
There is a treadclimber at the gym I like to use, but it shuts off after only 30 mins!!! I don't know if they set it up like that since they only have 4 or if it does it on it's own, but it's annoying!

2paw said...

Well, you certainly had an exciting At Home Ten anyway!!! It is very strange that it turns itself off!!!

Julie's journey said...

Funny, I find it the other way around - I can walk faster on the treadmill than I do out in the big wide world. Good thing to read manuals - something I fail to do regularly sometimes with disasterous results!