04 January 2008

A new toy



























Among other things that I have bought lately is this pasta maker. I made my own pasta with this no egg recipe that I found:

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of Semolina
1/2 a cup of water

Mix flours together gently by hand. Transer to a bench lined with baking paper. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually add the water. I mix it in by hand.A knife can be used to mix the dough. The dough should not be sticky. If it is, add a little more flour. If too dry, add a little water.

I used my new pasta machine, so I simply broke the mixture into three pieces and fed them through the machine as per the instructions. you could knead by hand, but it takes ages.

It was great fun! I spread the pasta out on baking paper and kept in the fridge until I was ready to cook it. It keeps for a few days in the fridge or can be frozen.

Then:

I chopped up some lovely ripe tomatoes
Added 1 tomato paste sachet
black pepper
a sprinkle of salt and sugar

and cooked gently in saucepan till soft. Added chopped basil, thyme and mint and poured on my cooked pasta. (I had cooked the pasta in boiling salted water with a tiny splash of olive oil, for about three minutes - al dente) Topped with a sprinkle of parmesan - Yummo!!!!

Probably more of a winter dish - but I was anxious to use my new toy. I can make flat pieces for lasagne, long flat pasta (fettucini)or long skinny round pasta (spaghetti).

Another day I cooked some pasta and then topped it with large cooked prawns, a dash of oyster sauce, a dash of sweet chilli sauce and a dash of soy sauce - Yummo too!!!

11 comments:

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Oh yummo..... I love pasta but have to buy gluten free pasta.... wonder how hard it would be to make my own....

2paw said...

That's great. What a fantastic new toy and your recipes sound so very yummy!!!

rand(om) bites said...

What a great new toy! I used to love watching mum make it while growing up. I say watching because mum wouldn't let us help LOL. HAPPY NEW YEAR Suzy and I look forward to your post on mushrooms :-)

Chris H said...

That looks so yummmm, and I'm trying to avoid too much carbs!

Leighanne said...

Happy New Year!!!
I will have to give this one a try - have wanted to get a pasta machine for ages!!

Jenny said...

I have never made my own pasta before. Looks like it would be funa nd delicious too. I have made winter dishes this last week, even had the crock pot out one day - as the days have been so cold and rainy. Mind you today the air con is on!!!

Chris H said...

No Airbrushing... that's funny! Thanks for the compliment, though it's a shame I can't smile for photos! Hope you have a lovely day down there in Tassy.

Anne said...

I'm a bit of a gadget person! That looks a greaat one and one that you would get lots of use out of. Really loved the sound of the dish with the prawns..

Sarah said...

oh yum! i love making fresh pasta! its a good workout for your arms too!

Em said...

Looks like a great idea Suzy but no carbs here for me atm ..am really enjoying my george foreman steamer tho :)....have a great week

Julie's journey said...

I saw a pasta maker the other day and wondered about it - now I know. BUT do I need another piece of kitchen equipment (dont tell the boy, I'll just hide it in the back of the cupboard and pretend I have had it for yonks).