08 January 2008

Reaction to mushrooms

This is quite a long story, but I would like to know if anyone out there has had the same thing happen to them, or whether you know someone that this has happened to:

Episode 1:

Earlier this year I went to a food and wine fest. DH and I drank a bottle of wine between us (which isn't unusual) and I ate tempura mushrooms(which I hadn't eaten before - I have eaten button mushrooms from the supermarket, but not often).

About half an hour later I was completely out of it. I don't remember what I said to people, I don't remember the band we were listening to. I remember not being able to find the toilets by myself and DH guided me there and waited for ages until I came out. I don't know what I did while I was in there. I remember all the trees in the park seemed to be swaying weirdly and everything else was in slow motion. I wasn't sick, we walked home, but I felt very ill all the next day.

Now this may just sound like a person who was intoxicated. I kept telling everyone that I really felt that I had a reaction to the mushrooms. Probably a reaction to mushrooms, combined with alcohol, combined with my BP medication?

"Sure" they said - "You were just drunk". I have been "drunk", I have been "Tipsy" and I have never felt like that before. I have never taken recreational drugs. I need to take medications for blood pressure and have never believed in taking drugs just for "fun".

Episode 2:

In December we had a Christmas Dinner for my work at an exclusive restaurant in town. It was a "tasting". No choice of menu - just 8 or so small courses of "exotic" foods and the appropriate wine to go with each course. I didn't have the wine. I know I can't mix my drinks without suffering a blinding headache, so it just isn't worth it. I had about 4 Vodka and sodas - I have had quite a few more than that in one evening and been fine afterwards.

Three of the courses contained mushrooms. The first mushroom course contained Shiitake mushrooms - I ate them. The second one was a scallop on top of a portabello mushroom - I gave that mushroom to DH. The third course had a creamy sauce - which I ate - I later found out it was a mushroom cream.

About half an hour later I felt hot. I asked my friend from work to come outside for some fresh air and a chat. We went out and I suddenly felt very faint and ill.

The next thing I remember is having hallucinations of some sort of creatures. I'm not sure how long it went on for - it seemed quite a while - like some sort of weird dream.

I then felt a bit better and said "let's go in now. I think I am OK" - "No you aren't" my friend said - "you have vomited all over yourself and your eyes were rolling and staring at me, but you couldn't see me - it looked like you were having a fit!" My pulse was racing and I was white as a sheet.

She had been too scared to leave me and had stopped me choking while I was unconscious. She then went inside and came back out with DH and a Doctor and nurse from our medical practice. I was OK by then, but I felt very drained.

We went home and I showered and washed my clothes. That night I couldn't close my eyes all night. I was OK, but I was so hyper. The next day I didn't feel like I had a hangover - I just felt completely drained and I felt that way for about a week. I tried to see my own GP, but as it was the week before Christmas - she was booked out - and I didn't want to explain it all to someone else. I have worked with her and known her for years and she knows this is not a normal experience for me.

Needless to say, I am very wary of going out for meals and I will be very careful what I eat in future. It was a very nasty experience and I believe it was a severe reaction to mushrooms.

What do you think?

14 comments:

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

oh my goodness Suzy..that sounds terrible... I have never heard of it...
I have heard of people using "magic Mushies" and they do some weird things... but they are special mushrooms i suppose...
Never heard of mush allergy.. but it sounds nasty... I hope you get some answers soon..
Take care ...

kathrynoh said...

I've never heard of that before with mushrooms but used to know someone who had a similar reaction to foods with MSG. Sounds very scary indeed. Hope you can get it sorted out.

2paw said...

You poor thing. It sounds awful,, I'm glad there was someone to look after you. I have no idea about the mushrooms though!!

Chris H said...

You are weird mate! If 'normal' mushrooms do that to you, wonder what the magic ones would do? My advice: don't eat mushrooms! Have a great day.

B said...

Gosh Suzy, that sounds like some awful experiences. I hope you can see your doctor soon and get it sorted out, but like the other girls say, I would definitely avoid mushrooms from now on.

Anne said...

Have never heard of that happening before, sounds like you have some sort of allergy to them. Maybe hitting on the Internet may have some answers.

Jenny said...

Suzy, I read your post and then went off and did some reading. There is documentation that edible mushrooms combined with alcohol can cause quite severe reactions with some people. I'd say you've definitely had a reaction to the musrhooms. Do you use mushrooms at home? If you do, do you eat them without alcohol? I would stay away from them, and definitely mention the scenarios to your GP when you get to see her. Very scary - glad you had someone to take care of you both times.

White Rose Boy said...

Hi Suzy,

Just looked up your symptoms on the web and it sounds very much like Mushroom Poisoning which can be very serious.

Check these sites -
http://www.sph.umich.edu/~kwcee/mpcr/2004Case.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_poisoning

Zanna, travelling tart, currently in Scotland said...

Suzy, definitely sounds like there's something weird happening to you caused by either mushrooms, alcohol or most likely a combination of both. But it must be so scary for you. Think you need to follow it through with your chosen doctor. Take care Love Z xx

rand(om) bites said...

Yikes! That's a serious reaction. I'd love to know what your doctor tells you when you get to see her. The reaction is a little scary too because you don't know it's about to happen. Lucky you have been with others both times. Maybe cut out mushys?

Lib said...

Hi Suzy,
I found you thru Cathys blog.
I enjoyed my visit here.You have a nice blog:o)
Blessins',Lib

Catherine said...

Oh how terrible! I love mushrooms and would hate to think I had an allergy to them.

Are you having tests done now (if that's possible)?

Good luck and I look forward to catching up in 2008. (once I get my act together!).

jen said...

ohhhhhhhhh Suzy, that doesn't too good at all. Seems as thou the mushrooms and the alcohol together are a lethal combination to you....get it checked out asap! Very scary experience I am sure...

Sarah said...

oh that sounds like a terrible experince Suzy, you poor thing. I would definatley be avoiding mushrooms if I was you! how very odd.