13 March 2009

Meet Corinne















I decided I wanted a dressmaker model to help me make clothes. I wasn't happy with the commercial ones I looked at. I wanted one exactly the same size and shape as me, so after much searching on the net, I have made one. I found ideas from articles from 1930's until now and combined them all to come up with Corinne.

I wrapped myself in a layer of tissue paper. I then wrapped a couple of layers of sticky paper (the kind of sticky paper used on the back of picture frames). I then carefully cut up the front of the model and took it off myself. I taped up the cut and stuffed the model with scraps of clothing and wadding. I made a stretchy cover to go over the model (from an old dress of mine) and pulled it over the model, drawing it in at the bottom with a drawstring. I named her Corinne.

I sat Corinne on my plant stand and she was ready to help me make some skirts.

Corinne has helped me make three skirts for work. I am much happier with the fit of the skirts than I have ever been with any skirts I have made with paper patterns. I cut the fabric by taking the shapes from my favourite skirts, then wrapped the fabric around Corinne and pinned seams and pinned darts for a perfect fit. One is a wrap around skirt with buttons, one is a pencil skirt and the other is gathered at the hips. Not a very good pic of them, but I have had some compliments about them at work, so I'm happy.




Now I just need to make a model of the top of me. I think I will need some help doing that. Maybe dear daughter or DH.......





Here is my new peg bag I made.









and This is a veil I made for a girl at work who eloped a couple of months ago and now we are having a post wedding hen's night for her. Hope she likes it....

8 comments:

Chris H said...

What a clever idea! When I first saw your 'Corinne' I did wonder where her top half was! lol
Well done mate.

Me said...

What a fantastic idea - you really are one smart cookie !!!!!
Have a great weekend and take care.

rand(om) bites said...

What a great idea. I really love the fabric patterns you choose too.

Dear Daughter said...

Hinting on the blog! That's a low blow!!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

You are just too clever.. I used to haveone of those adjustable dummy things... I got rid od it cos it just wouldnt wind out far enough!!! mind you that was years ago.. haha
I should have kept it...
What do you think of this crappy weather... I know we need the rain but this is horrid!

JuliaR said...

How did you decide on the name for her? I want to name my Judy and I have been calling her "Rose" but it doesn't seem to suit.

Catherine said...

Hi Suzy, I haven't been around for months. It's great to see you still blogging, and still being so clever! I loved Corinne!

jen said...

What a fantastic idea you had with Corrine....very clever!!