22 March 2009

Vintage finds and more sewing

It was a fairly dull day (weatherwise) today and DH and I decided to go to the local market to get some vegies.
DH was looking at a stall with model cars and bits and pieces. Look what I found at the same stall - Lots of vintage thimbles. So lovely! I have cleaned up the thimbles with Silvo and soap and water- two nickel/silver, one pewter, one bakelite and two copper. There were also two wooden cotton reels. I have been reading how to "sew your own bias binding" and it looks great wound on wooden cotton reels. I will try this out soon. How exciting!!!!
A long stitch holder was also in the packet. I found the vintage buttons at another stall.




We then drove on to another market out of town and I managed to find a piece of Doulton to add to my vintage Doulton Roses collection. This is a really unusual plate. I haven't seen one quite like this before, with the rose in the middle of the plate. Only $20! I was SO happy!!!







More sewing during the week. An ironing board cover, an apron and a new bird cage skirt for Barry the budgie. That's the danger of buying 4 metres of fabric for $2 a metre and then wondering what to sew with it.






I am busily knitting a vest at the moment. "Crisp" by Wendy Bernard. Hopefully it will be finished in a few days.

Congratulations to all those who participated in the 5km run/walk for breast cancer in Launceston (with Rebecca Gibney) today. I wanted to walk it, but I'm not quite up to it yet.

4 comments:

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

I was at the town market Sunday morning too...
Didnt get out to the country one.. I did want to but Mark didnt...
I will have to keep my eye out for you next time!

Me said...

Looks like you had a very beneficial visit to the markets yesterday !

M said...

Ooh I need to make a new ironing board cover - you have just inspired me. I will go and find some great funky fabric and get creative. I have been thinking that I want to do something to get me started. You really do find the nicest fabric though. Next time - if you get another great bargain on good fabric I would be happy to pay for half - and postage :)

jen said...

Love the plate...its lovely, and very unusual. Great bargain!