23 July 2009

Very special letters


A few weeks ago I "found" a lovely letter written almost 76 years ago by my father to my mother when she was 18 and he was 23. They married when she was 21. They are both gone now, he was 80 (killed in a car accident) and she was 79 (after a series of strokes).
It is a most beautiful letter written by a young man to his dear love. It gave a wonderful insight into who he was at that age. It is 4 pages long. At the bottom of the letter he has attached (by a little safety pin) a tiny photo of himself for her. She kept that letter for the rest of her life. She was 40 when I was born and he was 45. They had already had two other children, then aged 13 and 16 and then I was born and 16 months later my younger brother was born!

Growing up I always admired the beautiful mother of pearl lid of the black box, but I never really looked closely at the contents of that box until now.

There is also a letter to my mother from her father, who died when she was 16. She always told me he went for a walk and didn't return and was found dead. It was only in her last weeks of life that she told me he drank poison from a bottle in his garage (he had the first service station in a small country town in Tasmania). Deliberately or not, she didn't like to say....

In another box there were dozens of postcards written by my grand-father (mum's father) to my grand-mother, over 100 years ago! It took days for him to visit her and they only lived 50 miles away from each other. They mainly communicated by post card.

It is a shame that letters are almost a thing of the past. Text messages and emails won't be around for our children and grand-children to find in years to come. Even our blogs will be lost in cyberspace. I wonder how people will be communicating in 100 years from now??????????!!!!!!!!!!!! We will never know...... or will we???

4 comments:

Julie said...

What a treasure! I love that kind of story.

Chris H said...

It makes me want to write letters again! What a lovely thing to have ... family treasure.

2paw said...

What lovely family treasures. I have my dad's speech he made at his wedding to my mum- notes in his own handwriting!!!Letters are experiencing a resurgence: younger people find them romantic and older people are still writing them. I heard this on The World Today today. Stamps are probably going to be 60 cents soon....

Julie's journey said...

So special. I still have a letter my grandmother wrote me when I was really young and I treasure it so much as it is the only thing I have that she touched.