06 November 2009

Summer Bamboo Cardi















Bamboo Summer Cardi (rough notes)

Basically this is a top down raglan cardigan with lace panels down the front.

Size 36 to 38 inches
7 skeins of Cleckheaton Bamboo (50grams per skein)
Size 3.75mm circular needles for body.
Size 3.25 mm circular needles for sleeve bands.






Abbreviations:
K - knit
P - purl
K2 tog - knit 2 together
K2 tog tbl - knit 2 together through back of loop
Yf - yarn forward


Front panels - Worked over 20 stitches -
Row 1 P1, k1, k2 tog, yf, k1, yf, k2tog tbl, k1, p4 k1, k2 tog, yf,
k1, yf, K2 tog tbl, k1, p1
Row 2 k1, p7, k4 P7, k1
Row 3 P1, K2tog, yf, k3, yf, k2tog tbl, p4 , K2tog, yf, k3, yf, k2tog tbl, p1
Row 4 k1, p7, k4 P7, k1


Cast on 120 stitches.
Neckband
Row 1 and 2 : Rib (knit 2, purl 2)
3rd row Knit 3, yarn over, knit 2 together (for buttonhole) knit one.
Rib 5 rows.
Notes: I slip the first stitch on each row to make a neat edge for side bands. When placing markers I use a different colour for the panel markers to make me remember not to increase each side of those markers.
I increase by knitting into the front and the back of the stitch.

Start body (wrong side facing):K6 place panel marker, p20 place panel marker,p2 place marker,p10(sleeve stitches) place marker, p 44 (back stitches) place marker, p10 (sleeve stitches) place marker, p2 place panel marker,p20 place panel marker, k6

Right side facing:
Row 1 : K6 for side bands- (I slip the first stitch and k5 for a neater edge, it is up to you) now work front panel row 1 as stated for next 20 stiches, continue knitting, increasing each side of sleeve markers, back markers, sleeve markers until your reach panel marker - work front panel row 1 as before, knit 6

Row 2 - k6, work front panel row 2, purl until you reach the panel marker and work front panel row 2, knit 6

Row 3 - k6, work front panel row 3, continue knitting, increasing each side of sleeve markers, back markers and sleeve markers until you reach panel maker, work front panel row 3, k6

Row 4 - k6, work front panel row 4, purl until you reach the panel marker and work front panel row 4, k6


Continue body by repeating rows 1 to 4 - keeping panel and bands correct and making a button hole every eight rows (or whenever you like), and increasing each side of sleeve markers and back markers - until raglan is long enough (my raglan measures about 8 inches).

Separating sleeves :
Now with right side facing and continuing band and panel pattern, knit across to first sleeve stitches. Transfer sleeve stitches to holder and cast on 6 stitches and continue knitting back stitches. Transfer sleeve stitches to holder and cast on 6 stitches and continue knitting front stitches, keeping panel and band stitches correct.
Continue knitting body keeping panel and band pattern correct until just under bustline, ending with a Row 4 of panel pattern. Lace pattern is now finished.
Knit 6 rows.
Now continue in stocking stitch, keeping bands correct, until cardi is long enough.
Knit 12 rows for bottom band and cast off. (I didn't make any waist shaping for this cardi. The bamboo drapes so nicely I don't think it needs any)


Sew in ends. Sew on buttons and you are finished!!

Please let me know if you knit this cardi. I hope the notes aren't too hard to understand. As usual I waited until I finished knitting before I wrote much down.

Please do not copy this pattern without my permission.

7 comments:

knitandpiece said...

Lovely cardigan and very flattering. I am tempted to cast on; I'll let you know if I do. Thanks for the pattern.
Tracy

2paw said...

I love this cardigan and I saw the new one on The Ravelry and you have inspired me to make one of my own!!!

rand(om) bites said...

That's gorgeous Suzy!

jen said...

Lovely cardigan....love the pattern, will show mum when she comes up next !!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Love it.. you are so clever.... Shame I have the patience of a nit.. I couldnt Knit anything... It doesnt grow quick enough for me..

Megan aka I am Slimming said...

I wish I could knit. Well I can knit but really how many scarfs does one person need?

Love the cardigan and aren't you a clever cookie to have made your own pattern as well. xx

Katt said...

i so love this cardie!! looks goreous..want to do something like this with all the bamboo i have.

will have to get time to get around to it though!