18 January 2012

Zucchini heaven


I am picking three or four zucchinis each day. I like to pick them when they are six to eight inches long and are more tasty.
I have tried freezing some for the first time. I have been blanching and freezing broad beans, greens beans, butter beans and peas. After much research (surfing the net and reading blogs, while sipping cups of tea and eating cake) I found that other people have success freezing zucchini so I have given it a try.












I made a Zucchini and bacon flan and I also found a great recipe for Zucchini Bread. The recipe makes two loaves, so I halved it and made one. It is delicious. I made the first recipe and I added chopped walnuts and dried cranberries which were optional.
I found the Zucchini Bread recipe at Simplyrecipes.com


I have also made more Strawberry Jam ( a jar at a time).
Dear daughter gave me some beetroot and I made Pickled Beetroot.

I am hanging out for my tomatoes to ripen. There are lots on the plants, but some have turned brown underneath. More research on the net (involving more tea and munchies) revealed it to be "Blossom end rot". I hope the others are OK and ripen well. I just love home grown tomatoes.

No formal exercise for me at the moment, but keeping up with the chooks and the vegetable garden is keeping me fit and happy.
Hope all is well with you. xx

1 comment:

Me said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful veggie garden growing there. It is so nice to be able to go and pick your own veggies out the garden - it is also good to know that they are full of pesticides and preservatives. Good for you !!!

Love, hugs and positive energy.
Me