20 March 2012

Homemade Semolina Pasta

Sourdough baking is going well. I am going to try to make it once a week. I will feed my starter twice daily, morning and night, and on the day I make bread I will mix and knead it about 1pm and leave dough to rise. At bedtime I will shape the loaves and place in Bannetons in the fridge overnight, then bake in the morning. I will make two loaves and when cool, cut them in slices and freeze them. I am wasting a lot of flour at the moment, but when I really know what I'm doing I will leave the starter in the fridge and work out a different routine of feeding it on day 5 of the week and then getting it out and feeding it twice a day for two days before baking.


At the moment I have a total addiction to dough making, so I dusted off my pasta maker (which I have used only once) and made some Semolina pasta. I don't like eggs in pasta so here is what I did:




250 grams Semolina
about 1/2 a cup (or slightly more)of water
1/2 a teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of olive oil

I tipped the flour onto a board and, into a well in the centre of the flour, I poured the water, oil and salt. I gradually mixed the flour from the sides into the middle, mixing all the ingredients into a dough. I kneaded it for a while and then formed a ball and let it rest for a few minutes.

I kneaded it for about five minutes, until the dough was really smooth and stretchy.

Formed it into a ball again and wrapped it in Gladwrap and left it for 30 minutes.

I cut the ball in half and formed each piece into a flat oblong and fed them separately through my Pasta Machine on the widest setting. Then folded each piece over and fed them through the widest setting again. Then I fed them through the machine on each of the settings until they were thin enough. When the pieces became too long I cut them in half. I continued until the second smallest setting on my machine. I placed each piece on a teatowel to dry for about 20 minutes.








I made a yummy Vegetable Lasagne with Tomato pasta sauce, Silverbeet, grated zucchini and grated carrot.
Layered the fresh lasagna sheets, tomato vegetable mixture, ricotta cheese mixed with garlic and nutmeg. (Three layers of each) Topped with grated cheese. Baked for 40 minutes at 200 degrees Celcius.

I made the left over pasta into some Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli. I bought the Ravioli cutter months ago and hadn't tried it. The pasta worked well for Ravioli. I boiled the stuffed Ravioli for about 5 minutes.

All this kneading has been good exercise! I really need to start knitting though. At least I can't EAT my knitting :-)

1 comment:

jen said...

Yummy...

I would need to bring out the knitting needles too :-)